Chronic Pain: Does Marijuana Help?

Chronic Pain: Does Marijuana Help? When I was a substance abuse counselor many clients told me that they felt better after smoking a blunt. Of course that was against the law back then and it broke their treatment guidelines. It also made them NOT want to do any thing. Which I think is the worst side effect of smoking pot. You could seriously waist your life away just smoking all day every day. Feeling no pain but also barely existing (I'll save that for another post).

My story about Chronic Pain

Sadly I suffer from Chronic Pain. I have a lower back injury from High School days, some Arthritis starting up and fibromyalgia and I suffer from Migraine Headaches daily. So I know what it feels like on a daily bases to live with chronic pain.



In fact, I have done some videos and people have asked me why don't I have my eyes open? I thought I did until I look back at the videos and see that my eyes were slits because I did not want to much light to come in and cause me more of an headache. Yes, I live with pain all day every day! I can't remember when the last time was that I was not in pain.

Chronic Pain is a topic dear to my heart. That's why I wanted to do this post to educate people on what some of us have to go through daily. 

Below you'll find a video from Ted Talks and transcriptions of the video. It's about Chronic Pain and it's effect it has on the body and mind of it's victims.


http://www.ted.com We think of pain as a symptom, but there are cases where the nervous system develops feedback loops and pain becomes a terrifying disease in itself. Starting with the story of a girl whose sprained wrist turned into a nightmare, Elliot Krane talks about the complex mystery of chronic pain, and reviews the facts we're just learning about how it works and how to treat it.

WebMD describes Chronic Pain below:

What Does Chronic Pain Look Like?

How does persistent pain differ from everyday aches? What are the most common sources, and can you cure it?
Everyone gets aches and pains now and then. But when the pain lasts for six months or more, or is constantly reoccurring, it's considered chronic pain. Chronic pain is different from acute pain, which is your body's normal response to an injury or illness. You feel pain when special sensory nerve cells send signals to your spinal cord and brain.

Once the cause of an injury or illness is treated, the acute pain goes away. But chronic pain doesn't. With chronic pain, pain signals continue to fire in your nervous system for weeks, months, even years. Sometimes people suffer from chronic pain without any previous injury or illness.
If you have chronic pain, you're not alone. At least 100 million Americans experience some form of it. The most common sources are headaches, lower back pain, and arthritis. For many, chronic pain can be debilitating and affect day-to-day living. Talk to your doctor about treatment options, so you can enjoy life and keep the pain to a minimum.


An article written By 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migraines: Can The CBD In Marijuana Help?

A Benefit Most Smokers Don't Know About

Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne touts benefits of medicinal cannabis